I am not one who normally participates in reading challenges unless I am feeling a little stuck in my reading life, but Taylor over at TheBookWench.com posted a book challenge that I just couldn’t resist.
I’ve wanted to do a Gilmore Girls Reading Challenge for many years, but I’ve always been intimidated by some of the titles. With the recent release of the Gilmore Girls revival I decided that there is no better time than the present to face my fear. Who wants to join me?
My personal goal with this challenge is to read one book a month from the Gilmore Girl book list. I know that there are literally hundreds of books on this list, but I stuck with 1 book a month for the following reasons.
- My TBR list is HUGE and I really want to put a dent in the unread books that are lying around my apartment and that I have downloaded on my phone.
- My literary taste is vastly different from that of the Gilmore Girls and I feel that balance is key in this challenge. I enjoy my YA novels and not many of them make it to the Gilmore’s bookshelves.
- There are too many to tackle in one year. There are 351 books that are referenced between Gilmore Girls and Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life and I would like to have a bit of a social life this year.
Keeping my 3 “rules” in mind and picking books that I haven’t read already, I have chosen the following 12 books for my Gilmore Girls reading challenge.
- The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
- Gidget by Fredrick Kohner
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
- The Kite Runner by Khald Hosseini
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
- Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
- The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
- Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann
- Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austin
- Wild :From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
You can find the entire Gilmore Girls book list here.
Join me on this literary journey and don’t forget to share with your friends! You can follow my progress on Facebook and Instagram and you can share your share your journey by using #MSDarlingGilmoreGirlReadingChallenge and #thebookwenchgilmorebookchallenge.